The centre is now closed throughout January whilst we complete building work.
Registered Charity Number 1175957
Weekly activities and support SPACE provides:
· Stay and Play - play sessions every week, providing lots of fun with toys, sensory room, soft play area, messy play, music and arts and crafts.
· Sing, Sign and Play - a fun session using play, songs and stories to help introduce or build on Makaton skills for all the family.
· Sensory Story Time - A stimulation multisensory story experience in our sensory room, using story massage and other sensory techniques.
· Parent-Carer Coffee and Chat Group- An informal ‘drop-in’ facilitated by parents of children with additional needs to help them navigate through the world of ‘special needs’ and to provide friendship, advice and a listening ear (toys and the sensory room are available for children during the ‘drop in’.)
· Parent Carer Yoga - especially for our parents, helping with stiffness and pain and providing relaxation techniques to help people cope both mentally and physically with being a parent carer.
· Counselling - Being a carer can be isolating and many carers do not want to ‘burden’ friends and family. Many carers feel guilty if they have negative thoughts or lose patience, this is natural and part of caring. Counselling sessions enable carers to talk to someone who is not emotionally involved with the situation. Our counselling sessions are 1-1 with a fully qualified, BACP registered counsellor and are completely confidential.
· Parent training sessions – on subjects such as Makaton, sleep training and behavior management.
· Family days out – occasional trips to the zoo, a lantern walk and a wellie walk fundraising day.
· Toy library - specialist and adapted toys are extremely expensive, sometimes three times the price of regular toys or more. We have a toy library where children can access specialist toys to help with their development, and, more importantly, enable them to play and have fun at home.
· Support via Facebook – we manage a closed Facebook page that provides an accessible forum in which parents and carers can share problems and ideas and support each other any time of the day and night. Find us on facebook 'SPACE parents and carers'.